They can be used as decoration in a dish.
III.5. Baking bars
Obtain the best baking and the best texture of fish (bar). This fish was cooked with two different
manners: under vacuum (at P = -2 bars) or with steam. We looked for a “perfect” (from the Chef point of
view) baking of the fish, with ideal temperature and time of cooking.
III.5.2. Material and method:
· 30 g of fish filet, taken from the dorsal muscular tissue.
· Steam oven , Convotherme OEB precision 2°C.
· Thermocouple MAFTER K type from -50 to 950 °C; uncertainty of 1°C, with a needle.
· Plastique bag for food under vacuum.
· Machine to put under vacuum brand multivac / Gastrovac. T°C 0 in-100°C; a Graduation 0-10; 2bars
1. Cut 30 g of fish into small portions (for an “amuse-bouche”).
2. Put these portions in plastic bags under vacuum. (Intensity 4 of the machine)
3. Put them in the oven and measure the temperature inside the fish with a thermocouple (we put the
needle in the heart of the flesh).
The first tests were realized under vacuum. The following tests were realized on a plate, where
the fish was on a bed of kelp (10 g, ± 1 g) with 6 oysters (size of 2 cm). A lid is added and the
thermocouple is put inside the flesh of the fish. All is rolled in foil, to keep the environment waterproof.
19 / 63
The different samples were kept in the fridge to compare them in the ...
19 / 63
The different samples were kept in the fridge to compare them in the same time.
III.5.3. Results :
The bar placed in the oven at 60°C under vacuum is cooked at the end of 16 min (exactly), and it
can stay in the oven between 15 and 20 minutes. The Chefs cook the fish at 52°C (inside) for an oven
temperature at 60°C.
Temperature a coeur d'une portion de bar
0 5 10 15 20
Temps en min
Figure 20: evolution of the temperature inside the fish according to the cooking time, using different oven
temperatures: 1 = 60°C ; 2 = 62,5°C ; 3,= 65,0°C ; 4 = 67,5°C ; 5 = 70,0°C ; 6 = 80,0°C. The values are
given in the appendix number 5 and 6.