3. Pour some white stock, which is the cooking juice.
4. Put the pan in the oven, and let it cook for a long time.
5. Once the rice is cooked and the juice is reduced, mix the mixture in a Blender, to obtain a smooth,
homogeneous and creamy texture.
6. Add some fond blanc to obtain the right texture.
III.10.4. A foam of cream of black rice:
Very light foams called “cristaux de vent” were introduced more than 15 years ago by Herve This
(public lecture at the Clarendon Laboratory, Oxford). We tried to to make some of these “cristaux de vent”
with whipped egg white and some cream of black ricexxi.
· 90 g of egg white (3 egg whites), supplied by Louis Francois
· A big pinch of salt (4 to 5 g)
· 100 g of cream of black rice.
· Electric robot brand Kitchen Aid for a container of 25 cm of diameter (10 speeds)
1. Slightly warm (about at 40 °C) the cream of black rice and whisk.
2. Whip the egg white.
3. Add the cream of black rice drop by drop, when the whites start to turn into foam.
4. Stop whisking when the right consistency is obtained.
The manufacture of foams was a success. The making of these “cristaux de vent” was technically
The results of “cristaux de vent” made with some cream of black rice is given in appendix 11.
33 / 63
The foam could even be lighter. The added...
33 / 63
The foam could even be lighter. The added cream seems to make the foam heavy. Also if there
are more egg whites, the taste of the cream of black rice is not intense.
The presence of fat in the cream of black rice and the presence of some rice skins can prevent
from a good foam setting.
III.10.5. Emulsion with some groundnut oil:
We want to make an emulsion with the cream of black rice and some oil, like a mayonnaise. It
would be hand whisk to get big air bubbles in the mixture, in order to highlight the taste of the cream of
· 30 g of black rice.
· 30 g of white stock.
· One pinch of salt
· Some groundnut oil